3 DAY STARTUP UT AUSTIN
April 6th-8th, 2018 @ Capital Factory
3 Day Startup is a 72-hour learning-by-doing workshop that teaches entrepreneurial skills to university students in a hands-on environment.
WHAT HAPPENS AT A 3DS PROGRAM?
- Bootcamp (1-2 weeks before program date): Participating students meet, get introduced to key entrepreneurship principles, and learn best practices for maximizing the 3 Day Startup program experience.
- Day 1: Participants arrive – with or without startup ideas – and a facilitator leads the group through dedicated brainstorming, preliminary pitches/feedback, and team selection modules. Some teams work late into the night and others prefer to rest up in preparation for day 2.
- Day 2: Customer discovery (teams exit the building or hit the phones and talk to potential customers), structured mentorship, intermediate pitches and feedback sessions. Day 2 places heavy emphasis on business model generation.
- Day 3: Continued execution (including pitch workshops) leading into final pitches/demos to an esteemed panel of mentors and investors.
Applications will open again in February!
3DS is open to undergraduate and grad students of all years, majors, and experience levels as well as current working professionals. You do not need to be a UT Austin student to participate and you do not need to have any previous startup experience! All you need is enthusiasm and an open mind. Admissions are rolling, so please apply ASAP to increase your chances of participating.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What does the weekend look like? You and your fellow students will start a company over the course of three days. We rent work space, invite approximately 40 students with a wide range of backgrounds, and provide food, drinks, snacks, and coffee. But most importantly, we give you everything you need to go from selecting an idea on day 1 to presenting a minimum viable product on day 3. By the end of the program, you should have the skills, motivation, and network to move forward with your company –– now or ten years from now.
If I participate, what do I get out of the weekend? The worst case scenario is that you will work with brilliant people from numerous disciplines toward the common goal of building real companies and products. Great connections happen at 3 Day Startup: cofounders meet, complimentary skill sets collide, and friends are made. The best case scenario is that you will be a cofounder of a wildly successful new startup.
I’m a student majoring in X. Should I even consider applying? Yes! Our past participants span from first years to PhD candidates with backgrounds from English to engineering. Everyone is welcomed and everyone is valued. If you are passionate or curious about startups or technology, a 3DS program gives you just the push you need. And you’ll have a lot of fun along the way!
What kind of ideas are allowed? All kinds of ideas are allowed. Companies in everything from chocolate, to stationary, to software have emerged from 3DS. Any idea can gain traction at a 3DS program and develop into an awesome startup. At the program, we will show you how to take your idea and make it both viable and scalable.
What about food? Sleep? All meals, drinks, and in-between snacks are provided. Sleep is optional.
What is your rate of success? First of all, You can check out some of the companies that have been started by 3 Day Startup Alumni here. Our primary success metrics are learning outcomes and companies launched. Per program, 3 Day Startup results in more successful startups than any other weekend entrepreneurship event. When we say startups, we mean the real thing: companies that are making money or taking investment. We have run 300+ programs in the US and internationally, and those have given rise to 90+ companies that have received over $85 million in funding. 34 companies from 3DS have been accepted to accelerators such as Y Combinator, Tech Stars, 500 Startups, Capital Factory, and Dreamit Ventures. On average, most 3 Day Startup programs –– in both mature and nascent university entrepreneurship ecosystems –– generate at least one successful startup.
THANKS TO OUR HOST
CONTACT THE LOCAL ORGANIZING TEAM
For questions about the 3DS Austin program, please email our lead organizer Kishan Ramachandran at email@example.com.
For questions about sponsorship inquiries, please email Shayna Dunitz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3DS Global Roundup
We also have this really cool event called 3DS Global Roundup happening July 13-15, 2018. The Global Roundup is a conference of 3DS participants, mentors organizers from around the world. We’d love for you to attend.
- Austria to Austin 3.0 – Program Expansion! Mon, Jan 08, 2018
- 3DS Kicks Off First Sustainable Water Program in Partnership with ATI Wed, Nov 22, 2017
Time to Apply